Saturday, May 01, 2010

Spring Fling Part III

Sorry, I kind of disappeared and left you hanging. Didn't mean to do that, but you know how life gets in the way, right?

I think I was about to share with you some photos of the project we worked on during our Blackbird retreat weekend. The first project was a small sachet that we stitched and finished. We stitched an initial on it. Then we could embellish it with some rick rack and/or buttons. Here's a picture of some of the finished sachets. We all started with the same materials, but you can see that each sachet is finished a little bit differently! Cute!





The main project we worked on is this stitching box. We painted, sanded, distressed, and waxed the box until we got the right effect. Then we lined three of the sections with some coordinating fabric designed by Blackbird Designs for Moda. Finally, we stitched a little pincushion to fit in the fourth compartment. I stitched both front and back of my pincushion...the back has my initial "C" on it. I still need to stitch the piece that will be mounted on the front of my box, but if you visit Joan's blog, you will see that hers is already finished.




(Joan's box is on the left; mine is on the right.)


Here is the finished project that Barb and Alma brought with them:





There are many, many more pictures on Barb's and Alma's blog too.


For today, I'll leave you with a final picture of Barb and Alma, with our host, Deb, the owner of Stitchville. Deb did such a nice job with this retreat and I look forward to attending the next one!



Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy what is left of your weekend!

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks for all the retreat pictures. Barb and Alma always do such a great job! And it looks like Deb knows how to throw a party too! (love the background btw)

Laurie in Iowa said...

It's been such a pleasure seeing all the wonderful snaps of the retreat with Barb and Alma. TFS Yuor box is gorgeous.

Laura said...

Thank you for this beautiful account of your stitch retreat!!!! It looks like it was perfect!! I am very lucky to be signed up for a Barb & Alma weekend in June!! Now I know I really made the right decision to spend the money on it!!!! I just loved looking at all of your pictures and hearing the story of your weekend!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Oh what fun, Cathy! Thanks for sharing the photos of the wonderful retreat. The boxes look fantastic!

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of the projects from the BBD retreat. The inside of your box and your pincushion look very nice. Can't wait to see what they design for the retreat here in June.

Lynn said...

Those stitching boxes are beautiful! I'm sure it was a fun finish. Thanks for sharing all your pictures with us. I enjoyed sharing in your weekend.

Andrea said...

Wonderful finishes from the retreat. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

Lelia said...

thx for sharing. Your box w/sachet looks great! What a fun workshop & project

pj said...

Beautiful work and love the frames. Thanks for sharing your retreat with us...I would love to attend next year's too if there will be one. Deb has a great store and it is fun to hunt things down in her charts and fabrics. I have met Barb and Alma and they are always a hoot!!!! pam

Brigitte said...

It was such a treat to see all the pictures of your spring retreat with BBD. Oh my, how I loved to look at all the wonderful finsihes. Your box is such a beauty, very special. Thanks for sharing.